Friday, June 13, 2014

The Garden and Pickled Jalapeno Peppers

Corn before the rain.
The last few days have been nothing but busy.  Garrett had basketball camp Monday through Wednesday.  We had rain on Monday (2.5 inches) then rain again on Wednesday (1.25 inches).  Mondays rain made all my corn fall over.  My feelings were really hurt about that.  Quinten, aka "The Hubby",  Dalton and I all had to go stake it up so it didn't just lay there all over the ground.  I have happy corn again, thank goodness. 

We picked half a bushel basket of squash that I put up yesterday.  It made seven quart bags blanched in the freezer and 54 squash patties that I froze for later use.
 


Garrett and I went out and picked jalapenos, banana peppers, cucumbers and okra before the rain came yesterday morning.  After all that was said and done it came out to 4.5 pints of sliced japapeno peppers (see recipe below), 6 pints dill pickles, 1 pint pickled okra, and 3 pints hot banana pepper rings.  I do so love my garden. 


 
Easy Pickled Jalapeno Peppers

Yield: Approximately 2 1/2 Pints

Ingredients
1 pound of jalapeno peppers, sliced
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons pickling salt

Instructions
Pack clean, hot jars with peppers. Pour hot brine over top. Remove stubborn bubbles. (I use a butter knife).  Wipe rims (i use vinegar on a paper towel), apply lids and bands.
Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Store in cool, dark place for up to a year.

Notes

This technique can be used for just about any small, hot pepper. Measurements are for 1 pound of peppers and yield approximately 2 1/2 pints. Recipe can be doubled.






 

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    Your corn look really good. Last year I had to use wood to form a brace for the corn because the wind blew them all down.

    Yum Pickled Every Thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The corn seemed to bounce back pretty quick and is doing great. It's putting on alot of ears so that's a good sign. I think Quinten was a little suprised that it is doing so well..

      Delete